Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Which camera to buy?

So in a previous post, I said that I had been dead set on buying the Panasonic GH1 and my entry into the world of digital film making. Well I did what I normal do when considering large purchases, I read... alot, and ask a lot of questions before buying because in my life, it's very rare that a large purchase for me exceeds dinner and a movie with the girlfriend.

Upon reading and asking tons of questions of my Genre film maker Drew Bellware, I discovered that the GH1 might not be the best choice of cameras. The fact that I technically can't afford anything else is unimportant in my mind. When I want something, I figure out what to sell, or where to work to get it. So I start crunching numbers, and the more I crunch, the darker the tunnel gets, and just as all hope seems to be lost, just as I'm preparing to tell all the people I set up video shoots with that it will have to wait... there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Drew found the Canon Rebel T2i. This camera is probably old news at this point, being that it came out in late march, but if you haven't heard of it, hit up google.
You will find many different reviews and spec sheets, and comparisons between the 7D and the T2i, but to make it simple, and put to use the hours of reading I've done:

The Canon Rebel T2i offers nearly all of the same HD video formats and functions as the Canon 7D for HALF THE PRICE! Professional videographers, and photo journalists will say that it can't compare to the 7D, and they may be right in some respects. As far as still images are concern, the 7D takes the cake hands down. As far as a camera that you can drop down a flight of stairs in sleat, dust off and start using again, the 7D still probably takes the cake, because that's what it was made for.

If you are a new comer to HD digital video like me, the T2i is where it's at. You will have to be a little more careful with the camera in harsh elements, but hey, if you stand under an awning to use your iphone, I'd imagine you'd do the same with your camera. In my mind, and from what I've read, buying the T2i is like getting a toyota corola and finding a ferrari engine under the hood. Check out this link, and the video at the bottom, and you tell me what you think.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://philipbloom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/IMG_0012.jpg&imgrefurl=http://philipbloom.co.uk/2010/03/20/saltonsea/&usg=__uje_Ng4l6M3oLdu7VG7ZtWaePPo=&h=480&w=640&sz=63&hl=en&start=9&sig2=dsyfWSgfWFQvKOg_utU3rw&itbs=1&tbnid=Mob4u6wpFiVxMM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcanon%2Brebel%2Bt2i%2Bcinema%2Bsetup%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=l6bhS_GAPJCwNvicybIC
With video like this, save the extra $800 or $900 you would've spent on a 7D, and invest in some lenses or dolly's or mic's, or cocktails at happy hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment